CCM Motorcycles


Friday, 23 March 2012

Do I Need a CBT?

All learner 125cc motorcycles and scooter riders must have completed a CBT (compulsory basic training) course before riding on the road.

If you have a car driving licence

If your car driving test was passed on or after 1 February 2001, you must complete a CBT course to confirm your full scooter rights.

If you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001 you don't need to complete a CBT course to ride a scooter. However it is strongly recommended that you do.

If you want to ride a motorcycle you must apply for a provisional motorcycle licence and then complete a CBT course.

When CBT is not needed

You don't have to take CBT if you have a:

  • Full Scooter licence from passing a full Scooteroped test after 1 December 1990
  • Full motorcycle licence for one category but want to upgrade to another

You will also be free from taking CBT if you live and ride on specified offshore islands. However, if and when you ride in mainland UK you will need to complete a CBT course.

2012 CCM Motorcycles
This site is made with valid xhtml and valid css | xml sitemap | html sitemap | rss feed